eMandates authorisation can fail for technical reasons and you'll be notified instantly. Even after an eMandate is authorised or a physical mandate is submitted, mandate creation can fail. Most failure types can be easily rectified.
eMandate authorisation can fail in NPCI ONMAGS system due to various reasons. Click here to see a full list of reasons.
eMandates, once authorised, generally do not fail. In rare cases, the destination bank may deny to create the mandate e.g. if their subsequent validations are greater than the initial validations.
eMandates are less likely to fail than physical mandates, which can be prone to signature mismatch rejection. With eMandates, there is no physical signature so this type of failure does not exist.
When a mandate fails, LotusPay informs the customer and the merchant by email. The merchant can also be notified by webhook if they have integrated the LotusPay API. Merchants can also view the mandate status in the LotusPay dashboard.
A failed eMandate cannot be rectified - a new eMandate must be created.
Click here to see a full list of NACH Debit mandate rejection codes.
Physical mandates that are in Acknowledged status for 10 days or more are assumed to be 'TAT EXPIRED' i.e. The destination bank has failed to respond within the turn-around time stipulated by NPCI. It is generally not possible to resolve such cases. The best recourse is to create a new mandate or to collect payment through other means.
Here are the main reasons why eMandates fail, and how best to resolve the issue.
Reject reason codes for all types of mandates:
M038: No such account
- Meaning: The account details provided by the customer/merchant are incorrect. The destination bank found no such account.
- Resolution: The customer/merchant should ensure that the account name, account number, branch IFSC code and the account type are all exactly correct as per the bank's system.
Reject reason codes for physical mandates:
M003: Drawer's signature differs
- Meaning: The signature on the mandate is not matching with the signature on record in the bank account. The destination bank rejected the mandate request.
- Resolution: The merchant should submit a fresh mandate with a more accurate signature from the customer.
Reject reason codes for API eMandates:
M088: API - Data mismatch with customer info and data mandate
- Meaning: The account number provided to LotusPay by the customer/merchant does not match with the account number of the netbanking login or debit card.
- Resolution: The customer/merchant should ensure that the customer is logging into the correct netbanking account for the account number provided, or entering the correct debit card number for the account number provided.